Are you feeling overwhelmed with all the decisions you need to make????
Is this the first time you are embracing life on your own in a new place?
This might also be the time you experience new stressors like-
- excessive worry
- lack of focus
- parental expectations
Did you know.....
Anxiety (excessive worry and stress) is the top presenting concern among college students, followed by depression and relationship problems. (American Psychological Association, 2013)
Most students need a little help navigating some of the transitions.
- Fear of change, new situations and making new friends (fitting in)
- First time sharing space (and bathrooms) with others.
- Fearful of asking for help.
- Intimidated by your professors/large class sizes/not knowing where the classroom is located.
- Feeling homesick and lonely.
- School safety
- Balancing school work and social activities (prioritizing)
- Fear of Failure
Life skills you need to become independent.
- Goal setting/Organizational/Time Management skills
- Maintaining good grades, doing assignments on time with no one to remind you to “do your homework.”
- Basic financial literacy skills
- Money management, budgeting, work, school loans, etc.
- Maintaining good health
- Going to the doctor, healthy lifestyle choices, avoiding risky behaviors.
- Emotional Regulation Skills
- Understanding and managing your emotions.
- How to deal with emergencies
- Power outages, car accidents, serious injuries, when to call 911
- Basic household management
- Managing grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning, etc.
Have you checked off a few of the things above?
Would you like to talk about your worries, fears, concerns or just want to vent to someone who gets it?
We can arrange a time to meet face to face or have our meetings online if that works better for you.
Give me a call to set up a free 15-minute consultation.
When you call, you can ask me questions and we can explore if we'd be a good match.
You do not have to be in crisis to seek or ask for help.
It can be very empowering to do this for yourself.